Those of you who could not attend the meeting that was held August 23, 2012 at the law of offices of Call & Jensen, located in Newport Beach, missed a great presentation. Norman C. Davis, Esq. spoke about the issues concerning Aesthetic Compliance. Those of us that keep our ear to the ground are aware of the raids on medical spas in California leading to the arrest of nurses, spa owners, and in one case a physician. It appears that the Board of Nursing (BRN) has created a task force to investigate medical spas that are considered non-compliant. Unfortunately, the BRN did not communicate what the compliance issues were. If you are interested in protecting your license, the links below will provide updated information from the medical board regarding compliance issues.
Initial Statement of Reasons:
Areas of legal concern
1. Laser/RF Device purchase, ownership and use
2. Supervision of Laser/RF medical procedures
3. Cosmetic injectables
4. Corporate Practice of Medicine
5. Business Structure models
6. Working relationships
7. Risk Management
Laser/RF Device Purchase and ownership issues
State Regulatory Boards
1. Control who may use the device and under what circumstances, if you are not compliant, they will get you
2. Level of M.D. supervision over the practice, if you are not compliant, they will get you
3. RN’s cannot perform the first assessment, ONLY! An M.D,or D.O. Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician Assistant (PA), every state varies, check with the medical board or the board of nursing in your state, if you are not compliant, they will get you
PHYSICIANS – NURSE PRACTIONERS-RNs-PAs
Do you think that your training is adequate from a laser rep that has no medical background; any one can teach you how to push buttons. Do you know the physiology behind the epidermis? In addition, do you understand the basic physics and laser safety? Were you trained in a hotel room by so-called “educators” from other states they do not have a clue about California’s laws if so, and you are not compliant, they will get you.
Do you want to be arrested for non-compliance? Many people are facing jail and prison time in the state of California. Several raids have been executed in the past several months. Nurses, physicians and medical spa owners have been the target. Criminal charges have been placed on several in Beverly Hills, Palm Springs, Newport Beach, and others. If you are not compliant, they will get you.
The College of Medical Aesthetics is the only institute of higher learning Approved by the Bureau of Education. In addition, has a strong relationship with top tier Universities. If you are serious and professional you will look at an institute that teaches not trains, if you want to be a true professional in the field of Aesthetic Dermatology Nursing
I would like to encourage you to take this seriously.
Julia Pettis, Bs, Hcm